How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question

Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10346
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

I have a private rd which runs along side my house it is owned

Customer Question

I have a private rd which runs along side my house it is owned by my neighbour have vehicle rights to use this rd to get to my garage I have been walking on this rd for 2o years my neighbour now has sent me a soliciters letter saying I cant walk on the rd only drive my car can he do this
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.


Hi there,


Thanks for your enquiry.


Do you have your Deeds to hand to confirm exactly what it says as regards your rights over this private road?


I take it that you need to walk along the road to actually get to your garage or is there another means of accessing your garage?


Any further info you can give would be great.


I look forward to hearing from you.


Kind Regards


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there is another way to access my garage the council sold this rd to my neighbours house former owner 30 yrs ago for £5 as they did not want responsibility for the rd my house was granted indefinite vehicular use my neighbour now says it cant be walked on only to open or shut my gate


Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.


Hi again,


Thanks for your reply.


On the basis that your Deeds only grant you vehicular access, provided you have used the road uninterrupted and without dispute for 20 years or more continuously, then you have acquired a "right by prescription".


This basically means that you have acquired a legal right to use the use the road for pedestrian purposes.


Although such a right has been automatically acquired by you just by the fact that you have used it for 20 years, you can back this up by applying to the Land Registry for a prescriptive right, by providing a statement of fact, setting out your use of the road. If successful, the Land Registry will then note your interest on your neighbour's Deeds.


I would therefore recommend that you seek advice from a local Solicitor who will be able to advise you fully on this and in the first instance by writing back to your neighbour's Solicitors setting out your case.


I hope this answers your question, and if so, I would be grateful if you could leave positive feedback.


Kind Regards


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions