12826847

hello I have rented an apartment in London, at £770 per week,

Customer Question

hello I have rented an apartment in London, at £770 per week, so a high price rental. When I viewed the flat there was a bad smell in the entrance and in the actual flat. The agent explained that this was newly cleaned/damp carpets on the stairs and in the entrance. I paid upfront 6 months rent as I was quite desperate to find a short term rental and that was the request from agent. I am now living in a flat which has a constant damp smell. The smell in the entrance is unbearable. There is a damp patch in one of the bedrooms which has been covered up but is obvious close up. The flow of water is close to a drip from bathroom taps. The sash window has a broken sash so when its opened it stays open for a while and then crashes closed. In the first week of tenancy the bulb on the landing wore out. The landlady does not respond to my emails regarding this and her handyman says he will come along and fix stuff if I pay him. I have put down £4000 deposit and paid over £20,000 upfront. I know that the previous tenant was very disgruntled and angry and I am beginning to understand why. Please advise as I do not know my rights.
Just to add to the above I heard back from the landlady who has said I should deal with the agent, the reality is the damp patch exists as does the smell and she is not prepared to treat this.
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

What type of contract do you have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

a regular tenancy I suppose. 6 months lease.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
answer didn't arrive
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello

ia anyone answering this question?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a 6month tenancy agreement

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have answered above question twice, can someone help me with an answer?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FOR JOMO1972

I have posted an answer to your question twice. are you going to answer my question?

The reason you are experiencing delay is that you keep posting before I have responded which pushes the question to the back of my list.

I see you have received another answer on this point. In the light of that do you need any more information?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FOR JOMO1972

i have not received another answer

Ok. Thanks.

Is this an assured shorthold tenancy agreement please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes it is

What is the end date?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Its a 6month lease, ends november 2013

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

End date is November Tenancy started beginning of June

Have you reported this to environmental health?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no I havent, I am trying to deal with the letting agent to get some money back. Would the environmental department help?

They might if there are disrepair issues

It might be possible to get them to issue an improvement notice to deal with the damp.

You may well have an additional claim for disrepair depending on the nature and degree of the damp but from the point of view of getting the work done quickly a report would be quick and free to do

Can I help further?