Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
11292137

I own the leasehold on a council flat. I rented out the flat

Customer Question

I own the leasehold on a council flat. I rented out the flat several months ago unfurnished. The tenants are now complaining of bed bugs. As the property was let unfurnished and the bed bugs are only a recent issue (having researched on the internet bed bugs will cause discomfort the moment they are present and cannot lie dormant) they have clearly been brought in by the tenant. There is nothing in my agreement with the tenants relating to pest control (agreement is written up and managed by an estate agent), although the council state that "If you live in private rented accommodation, your landlord is responsible for pest control". However, I do not see how I can be responsible if the tenant has caused the problem.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
I agree with you. You are not responsible for this. Can I help further?