HelloI sold my car on the 24th Aug 2012 at 9am, it was

Customer Question

I sold my car on the 24th Aug 2012 at 9am, it was a private sale that took place in the car park where I currently work, £300 cash was exchanged and later that day the buyer crashed the car into the back of somebody who in now claiming whip lash. That same day I sent my part of the signed registration certificate off to the DVLA, but I did not send it recorded delivery and it did not arrive. The buyer of the car did not send his part of the form off, so according the DVLA the car was still in my name. (and my partners name who is the first named policy holder on the car insurance) I wrote to the DVLA ack in October 2012 as soon as I heard that the car was still in my name to tell them that I had sold it in Aug 2012. Apperently the buyer of the car has been in trouble with the police before and now he can not be found, so my insurance company are holding my partner responsible for the accident as our car insurance ran out the 31st Aug 2012 and the accident took place on the 24th Aug 2012. My car insurer have said that I should have called them the same day to notfiy them that the car had been sold, however, I was not aware of this and thought by sending my part the registration certificate off to the DVLA that this would be sufficient. I do not even know where this car is at present. We have recently received a letter from our insurer asking us if we would like to sign a Consent and Indemnity form so that they can act on our behalf. We have not signed anything yet, as myself or my partner did not crash into the back of anybody and feel that the liability should not be brought against us. We do not know where to take this from here, could you please advise in any way?

Expert:  leanne-jones replied 3 years ago.
Hello - my name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

Do you have any details of the buyer at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have his DOB, Full name, and his twitter account address

Can I please ask, are there any hidden costs in this service?

Hidden costs no. You place a deposit and that is the price you pay.

The Indemnity is really an authorisation for the insurance company to defend any claim. It is quite normal practice and nothing unusual.

If you sign it and proceedings are issued then they would be against the insurance company and not you, so in fact you are better or signing it. As I said, it is an authorisation for the insurance company to act in relation to this. There is nothing hidden or sinister about it.

If I can help further then please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you for your question . My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

I see you have opted my colleague out.

Is there anything else you wanted to know?