Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
11292137

We had a loft extension completed 5 years ago, we had all the

Customer Question

We had a loft extension completed 5 years ago, we had all the planning permission etc and had visits from the council during building work. However we have never got the building works signed off. This has come to light of course because we intend to move soon.
Please advise what the neccessary course of action should be taken. Will we have any repercussions for not signing off from the council?
many thanks
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects. Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me
while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to
advise you fully.

Unless I have all the facts that I need, my answer would not be accurate.

Can you tell me why it was noy signed off.Do you mean that you have no building regs approval?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We got building regs ok, had the loft extension built. Had visits from the council whilst being built, everything ok. The final building of the loft extension finished but we did not or the builder did not get the final approval

from the council? I thought that was the called signing off!

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

If you
have the building regulations certificate that is what you need and I think
that is what you refer to.

If you
didn't have that, you would need to get it or arrange an indemnity policy.

Is this
an issue which has been raised by your solicitor or by the buyer or is this you
pre-empting things?

At this
stage, I cannot see anything to be concerned about.

If you
let me know how this is cropped up, I will be able to explain.