leanne-jones
leanne-jones, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister
73696840

I had a stomach bypass in January this year, I was advised

Customer Question

I had a stomach bypass in January this year, I was advised by the consultant that my gp next will do blood tests and I will be on further medication and possibly b12 injections. I have found out today that a letter was sent to my gp dated 31st Jan advising what medication I needed to be put on this information has not been passed to me by my gp. I complained to the surgery today and I hAVE BEEN given a prescription for the following items B12 injections every 2 to 3 mths, Ferrous sulphate 200mg 1 tablet twice a day, CACIT 3 D sachets unsure whether these aqre for calacuim chemist are out of stock, multivitatins 1 a dAY and when I left hospital was on 1 30mg Lansoprazole I DAY when i ran out of these tablets I got a repeat prescription from my gp who reduced it to 1 15ml a day I have received a prescription today from gp for double dose 1 30ml per day. please help, I complained to my gps receptionist today and this presription was made up urgently for me. Who do I complain to about this neglect. Thanks
Expert:  leanne-jones replied 4 years ago.
Hello - my name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

I can't gve you medical advice as I am a lawyer but I can help with the legal side, if that is ok?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I forgot to mention that my knee gave way to me 3 weeks ago ans I have just had a knee operation for torn cartilage I am wondering that if I had been receiving the medication prescribed would this in jury still have happened

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

please help me in ny way you can

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

can you answer my question in relation to the legal side

Please bear with me as I am having my dinner.

You should first write and complain to the practice manager. They will have someone dedicated who can deal with complaints for any patients. They will investigate the matter and report back to you. If you are not satisfied then you should see a GP at another practice and get a second opinion on your treatment. If they are of the view it is not acceptable then you should see a solicitor.

It may be that you can sue for medical negligence. However you will not get legal aid for this as changes came in April this year that removed the majority of legal aid. However a solicitor may take this on as no win no fee. If not, then you would have to pay for legal proceedings if you win then a judge can award you the costs back. But if you lose you may have to pay the legal costs of your own side and the other side.

But first step is to get a second opinion to see how you have been treated and to make a formal complaint to the practice.

I hope this answers your question and if I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Leanne