leanne-jones
leanne-jones, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister
73696840

I have been contacted by a debt collection company via telephone.

Customer Question

I have been contacted by a debt collection company via telephone. the first line i get from them is confirmation of my name and the they have asked as they see it in accordance with data protection i provide security details. I have declined on the three consultations i have had to provide that as their explanation of who they are and the purpose of there call description is a matter of which company they are any their interest is e billing. I know them to be debt collectors from an internet search of the telephone no. they make daily calls to my mobile telephone. My response is for my protection im not going to provide you with any personal details and to contact me in writing. I am yet to recieve this. I have read a few internet reports on this company and one of the reports was in concern of a direct debit to a web site that i have also used. I too did make a dirc cebit payment for there sevice on one occasion and then made instruction through my bank for it to be cancelled. Could this be the reason for the involvement of this collection agency. Where do i stand with this as it was cancelled via my bank and not them. Is there a legal standing contract in place with this

regards

ian
Expert:  leanne-jones replied 3 years ago.
Hello - my name is Leanne and it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

Who are they and do you have any idea what the debt is for?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the company name is lrc. i have never heard of them i dont give them any details and they do not give me any information other than its in regards to e billing. i know they are a collections company from an internet search and have read a few comments that have been left by other people

What was the DD you had for?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it was for a cams.com

Thanks. I would ignore the debt collection company. I would not even speak with them. When you know it is them put the phone down or do not pick up.

You have asked that everything be in writing - that is your right. They have chosen to ignore it. Even if they do write you can ask for a copy of everything they have under the Data Protection Act.

In reality they have been sold the debt by someone for around 10%. I would just ignore them and they will go away - they will soon get the message.

They can not do anything, they can not get bailiffs without a CCJ. So I would not let this worry you - ignore them and they will get the message.

I hope this has answered your question and if I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

its annoying and its worrying me. i cancelled the dd with my bank. there is absolutely no responsibility of myself to make any payments? im assuming that in making the dd intially there was a mandate but i am correct in thinking that i can cancel that at anytime as i did and not be contractually signed to anything other than that mandate? is that right ?

I really would not worry. I doubt they would instruct a UK debt collection company anyway as they are a US based company.

You did not sign anything (apart from mandate)m so you are right, you cant be bound.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Leanne