12826847

WHAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT A NEIGHBOUR WHO HOLDS A CAMPING PARTY

Customer Question

WHAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT A NEIGHBOUR WHO HOLDS A CAMPING PARTY ALL NIGHT IN A QUIET PART OF THE COUNTRY, I SPOKE TO THE NEIGHBOUR AT 24.10 HRS ABOUT THIS BUT NO ACTION WAS TAKEN
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

FOR JOMO1972 I spoke to the neighbour at 24.10hrs on sun 23rd june, I asked her to tell her boys to lower the noise. the answer was they are only boys and I have also heard your dogs you know. my reply was please do not go down that road, then I retuned home ,the boys 4 off them where still going until 04.30hrs when they left the tent to return to the house

Is this the first time this has happened ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes first and only time at present

I do completely see why you find this disturbance annoying but we are all hampered by the law.

I'm really sorry but I'm afraid that if this is just a one off event involving children then that is not something that gives rise to a cause of action.

Environmental Health will not be interested because its non electric noise.

Non electric noise can certainly amount to a noise nuisance and the council can prosecute for statutory nuisance but a one off event is not sufficient.

You can bring a private prosecution under the Environmental Act 1990 but its not a good idea. You would lose and be liable for their costs.

You can also sue in private negligence which is more economical at least but still isn't the best claim if this is a one off event.

I'm afraid that most neighbours have noisy events on occasions. If its starts to happen regularly then that gives rise to a claim maybe.

I'm very sorry if this is bad news.