29905560

My employer (a city council) provides life insurance (a death

Customer Question

My employer (a city council) provides life insurance (a death in service payment of 1years salary) only to employees who are not in the local government pension fund. They say this is because the pension fund provides life insurance to those in the fund. Are there any legal issue with this? It seems unfair to me. Historically, those in the pension fund would also get life insurance from the council.

Ben Jones : Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Unfortunately it's unlikely that this would be unlawful. This is a discretionary benefit and as such the employer is free to choose the terms which apply to it and who is entitled to it. It would only be an issue if the reason some employees do not get it is due to a potentially discriminatory ground, i.e. because of gender, race, religion, age, a disability, sexual orientation, etc.