12826847

Hi Dr. My son is nearly 16 and his girlfriend is nearly 15.

Customer Question

Hi Dr.
My son is nearly 16 and his girlfriend is nearly 15. They have known each other at school for many years. They have now been going out with each other for about 6 months and are very close. In the last few weeks they have started having full sex without the knowledge of her parents. I have only just found out as we have a close relationship (which I don’t want to loose by telling her mum after my son has been open with me. I therefore have 4 questions.
1) I want to talk to her mum (there is no dad for her) but apparently the mum may get very upset and her mums boyfriend would not be happy)
2) Without someone’s help (me) she may get pregnant and so I wish to do something but I don’t know what
3) Can she see the doctor to go onto the pill without her mums knowledge.
4) If this continues after my son is 16 and his girlfriend is only 15, can my son be in trouble

Note – I would be very against them being together generally because of their age but as I know his girlfriend and they are in love at the moment and get on very well (It is not just the sex for them as they want to spend every hour in each others company) They actually get on very well together and really care for each other.
Can you help or offer advice?
Expert:  commissure replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

1. you can talk to your son, but it is up to her to talk her her parents directly about her sexual activity.

Dr. David :

2. you need to talk to your son about wearing a condom and not getting her pregnant.

JACUSTOMER-7njtdz33- :

I don't think this is an option as her mum likes my son very much but would not approve of the sexual activity

Dr. David :

3. yes, the pill is available in the UK for minors. she can go to a planned parenthood in the UK

Dr. David :

4. there is nothing illegal about what they are doing. they can't get in trouble.

JACUSTOMER-7njtdz33- :

Yes. I have spoken to my son and he is wearing a condom but that is not to say that there is still a reasonable risk. There is also nothing illegal at the moment until he turns 16

Dr. David :

they are both underage and it is consensual so that is fine.

JACUSTOMER-7njtdz33- :

but in a few weeks he will be 16 and she will be 15

Dr. David :

if her mom will not react to it well, then it would probably be best to keep it under wraps

Dr. David :

that is fine

Dr. David :

after age 16, it is fine for him.

Dr. David :

so in a few weeks, it will be fine.

JACUSTOMER-7njtdz33- :

I don't think they would be very happy with me if I am the adult that if something happens and she does get pregnant then I would not be a responsible adult and also that I did not tell her (If I told her then my son would not trust me again)

Dr. David :

well, it is up to your son to make sure she doesn't get pregnant.

JACUSTOMER-7njtdz33- :

If a 16 year old has sex with a 15 year old then the 16 year old can be arrested for having sex with a child

Dr. David :

so they should use both condoms and she should go to a planned parenthood to get pills.

Dr. David :

no, both 16 and 15 year olds are minors.

JACUSTOMER-7njtdz33- :

Are you sure about this?

Dr. David :

you may want to ask this same question in the legal section of the uk legal portion of justanswers.

Dr. David :

they have lawyers there who can help you with the legal aspect of the question.

Dr. David :

this is justanswers medical here for medical questions.

JACUSTOMER-7njtdz33- :

Perhaps this situation is not a medical one and so I think I will leave it. I'm sure you are very up on medical matters but I am unhappy about the answers to my questions - especially about the 16 year old.

JACUSTOMER-7njtdz33- :

Thanks anyway

Dr. David :

would you like me to transfer this question over to legal?

Dr. David :

it might take some time.

JACUSTOMER-7njtdz33- :

No Thanks anyway. I think I would be best to talk to a local specialist in uk about the legal, moral and parental matter to this situation. But thanks anyway.

Dr. David :

there are uk lawyers available to help in the uk legal section.

HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

You are on uk law section now

Can I just check that you are asking whether twits unlawful for a 16 year old to have sex with a 15 year old ?