leanne-jones
leanne-jones, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister
73696840

I put a vehicle in for modification whilst some insurance work

Customer Question

I put a vehicle in for modification whilst some insurance work was carried out. Without quoting the work was carried out, I am now looking at an invoice for around £18,000.
I have checked with other company's that carry out these type of works and the general consensus is the price should be around £9/ £10,000
I am willing to pay this but the company is insistent that they will not let me take my vehicle unless the invoice is paid in full.
My question is am I entitled to the return of my vehicle if I pay what I consider to be a reasonable sum. The old parts that were updated were "thrown in the bin" including a self seeking satellite dish.. Mmmmm
Expert:  leanne-jones replied 3 years ago.

leanne-jones :

Hello - my name is Leanne and it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

leanne-jones :

May I ask why you didnt get a quote for the work first, given the potential value of the work they were doing?

JACUSTOMER-ge145ohm- : I had previously used the company as it is a bit of a captive market .. The vehicle is an American RV or Winnibago as they are known in the UK and there are not many people that repair them. The chap said that he would like to carry out the work on a trial and error basis and use it on his web site and...........I trusted that was the case...I know trust is a valuable thing and I was wrong to think for one minute that that would be the outcome.
JACUSTOMER-ge145ohm- : He is now saying that he verbally quoted me. I think he is used to dealing with the Jenson Buttons where nothing is questioned.
leanne-jones :

Have you managed to get 3 other quotes?

JACUSTOMER-ge145ohm- : No they were all over the telephone with me just reading out what had been done and what they would have charged for similar works although I realize it is very easy to quote when you have been given a price to compare. In the invoice there are sums of labour amounting to £2000 or more hidden in the parts column for example ?
leanne-jones :

Ok. First you need to get 3 quotes. A company is entitled to a reasonable sum for reasonable work done. However to answer your question can they keep your car until you pay - yes

leanne-jones :

This is because they have a legal lien on the car if parts are used. As such they are entitled to hold onto it until they get payment

leanne-jones :

So sadly what you may have to do is pay the amount and then sue them for the difference. Good news is that the small claims limit is now £10,000 so if you keep it at or below this it would be a small claim

leanne-jones :

This means costs are limited and in any event you could issue proceedings online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

leanne-jones :

But they have a legal lien and no you are not entitled to a return of your vehicle

leanne-jones :

I am sorry as I know this will not be the answer you want, but I have a duty to give you honest advice even if it is not what you want to hear

JACUSTOMER-ge145ohm- : No it's not the answer I was looking for but if that is the case although I would not hold out a lot of hope in taking him through the court system as it took a year to carry out the work and we all know how easy it is to flat pack a company and pop back up as a Phoenix from the ashes with the change of a letter in a name but thank you for your advice.
leanne-jones :

I am sorry. Morally you are right

leanne-jones :

Do please to remember to give me a great rating.......

JACUSTOMER-ge145ohm- : Certainly will and thanks again for your time x
leanne-jones :

Welcome and good luck with this

leanne-jones :

Can I assist with anything further today?

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Leanne