Max Lowry, Advocate
Experience:  LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
51031577

If I make an art image of a famous person, can I sell it without

Customer Question

If I make an art image of a famous person, can I sell it without their permission. If they are dead is there a time limit on using their image?
Expert:  Max Lowry replied 4 years ago.

Max Lowry :

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I will help you with your question.

Max Lowry :

Are you drawing a picture of somebody and seeking to sell it?

JACUSTOMER-z0lmf3tx- :

No making a desk top bust

Max Lowry :

OKay - well, there is nothing that stops you creating images/sculptures etc. of things that represent individuals and then selling that/

JACUSTOMER-z0lmf3tx- :

Ok , if I get an artist to create the image for me, do I have to get the artist to asign the title to me

Max Lowry :

Yes, you should do this to avoid issues then on copyright, design rights, or anything like that. Always get a proper agreement drawn up by a solicitor preferably.

Max Lowry :

Especially if you intend to make serious money out of it!

JACUSTOMER-z0lmf3tx- :

Ok thank you.

Max Lowry :

Thank you. Please do remember to rate my answer, and if you need more general information in the future, do just let me know, and I'd be more that happy to try and answer your questions.

JACUSTOMER-z0lmf3tx- :

Thanks again, good day.

Max Lowry :

Please do remember to rate my answer, and if you need more general information in the future, do just let me know, and I'd be more that happy to try and answer your questions.