Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

I believe that my mortgage was miss sold to me.The mortgage

Customer Question

I believe that my mortgage was miss sold to me.

The mortgage was granted in 2005 from Northern Rock via a broker. It was for £128,000 secured on the house plus a £32,000 unsecured loan.

However, I was 51 years old at the time and the mortgage is for 25 years; as such, there is no way I will be able to pay it back because on past family history I will probably be dead by then, let alone still working.

The balance on the mortgage now is £112,000 and the house is valued at £113,000. The £32,000 has for the last four years been in an IVA.

By the time I am 65 I will have paid about £134,000 in repayments, and if it could stop there I would be content. To carry on for another 10 years paying a further £96,000 is both obscene and untenable.

I'm given to understand that selling mortgages to people with settlement dates beyond their retirement date constitutes a miss sell.

Could you advise please?

Richard Hattersley.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High
Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008.
During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions
from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.

Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other
users, I might not always respond in
minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that
case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me
while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise
you fully.

Do you have a specific question?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My specific question is is there any way I can obviate the need to carry on making payments on this mortgage after I am 65, or better still get it written-off altogether?

Ideally, it would be fantastic if the Ombudsman could say to Northern Rock that the mortgage is null and void, no further payment is necessary and I get compensated for what I have paid so far. If what they have done is illegal then surely I should not have to go on paying until I am 76, which is not an option anyway.

Obviously you know far more about this than I do; I don't know whether mortgages can be written off if they've been sold illegally. But I need your advice on what my options are, if any.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

This isn't really my area now, so I am going to opt out of this
for another expert to consider. Please do not reply or it comes back into my
inbox. Another expert will pick it up at some stage. It is now open to all
experts.

Expert:  leanne-jones replied 4 years ago.
Hello - my name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

May I asked why you signed it knowing it was going to be for so long?

Did you know the term of the mortgage?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

I'm very sorry but leanne-jones is no longer available to answer questions. I've been working hard to find another Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'd like to cancel this service altogether and not pay any more money for it.

Can you please confirm that you will do that and no further money will be taken from me?

Yes, I confirm that we will do that for you.