leanne-jones
leanne-jones, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister
73696840

My daughter has just completed a GDL and is receiving conflicting

Customer Question

My daughter has just completed a GDL and is receiving conflicting advice on whether now to do LPC or ILEX. Many of this years LPC students have not secured training contracts and as a mature self funding student she is not keen to run up additional loans etc . Is the ILEX an acceptable route ? Any non biased advice would be gratefully received. Thankyou
Expert:  leanne-jones replied 4 years ago.
Hello - my name is Leanne and it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

What does she want to do as a job?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Claire would like to practice in family law, she has been told that after achieving the ILEX she can work under a Solicitor and law firms are happy to employ as Claire would be fee earning. She went for a para legal interview recently and the route she is considering with the ILEX was regarded poorly. She is now very confused . Many students on the current LPC have not managed to secure training contracts. Advice appreciated.
Does she want to be able to represent clients in court?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I dont think so, she has worked voluntarily with a family law practice during her GDL and has been to court with the solicitor once over the last year

Ok. A training contract is very hard to get - there is no getting around that. To qualify as a legal exec is easier than solicitor. However they are seen as a poor man lawyer, but that imagine is changing.

However at present they do have limited rights of audience. So if she is mainly a desk lawyer and does not want to go to court, then legal exec is the way forward. Also once she is fully qualified she can always do the lpc and cross qualify as a solicitor without the need for a training contract later.

If there is anything else I can do for you, please let me know.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Leanne