12826847

hi I bought a van just over a week ago the engine warning

Customer Question

hi I bought a van just over a week ago the engine warning light came on the garage I bought from said to take it local and have light turned off which I did. the next day light came back on. van was returned to where it was bought to repair problem collected van 4 days later(yesterday) and on the drive home it broke down and had to be recovered home . do I have the right to ask for a refund ? Sandra
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

How many times in total has it gone back for the same problem?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It had the light turned off locally and then went to the garage where it was bought to be repaired and engine warning light returned

How old is it?

Also, how much did you pay please?

Don't panic if I don't respond immediately. I am about to sort out some issues at court so might not come back straight away. I will pick this up soon.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

its a 2007 I paid 3,700 for the van

thanks

Thanks for the information.

I will type you out an answer now.

Actually just for completion, do we know what the fault was that the warning light signified?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They are saying there was no fault
Wer any faults visible to you?
It doesn't make much sense that a warning light would come on with no faults.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No faults that we could see

I do completely see why you are aggrieved over this but ultimately we are all hampered by the law to some degree. Ultimately there must have been some fault.

This is a purchase to which the Sale of Goods Act applies. That will mean under S14 SGA it must be ‘fit for purpose’. That does not mean perfect but it does mean reasonably good with reference to the price you paid for it, its age and history. This is a fairly recent purchase and it wasn’t an insignificant price. Clearly it is faulty and they seem to accept that by offering a repair so that should be no difficulty.

You do have to reject anything you purchase under the SGA which has a fault if you have not already ‘accepted’ it. What it means to ‘accept’ an item depends on the nature of the purchase, the price of the item, the length of time you’ve had it.

It is not likely that a court would say you have accepted this vehicle. You have not had it long. The issue here would potentially be that the fault is not immediately apparent and may be very minor.

As with everything else under the SGA, it is all a question of reasonableness and degree. If this is a very minor a fault then a court will be reluctant to allow for complete rejection.

You do have a right to demand either a repair or a like for like exchange. The dealer can only refuse one or the other if he can show that the remedy is impossible or disproportionate. He is probably relying on the latter.

However, under the SGA, if he fails to act within a reasonable time or causes you unreasonable inconvenience, you are entitled to ask for rescission of the contract and a full refund or a price reduction.

As you know though you are entitled to a repair and, in default of a repair, a refund.

If they fail on three occasions to repair properly then your rights to a rejection are revived.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.