leanne-jones, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister

We booked a holiday to New Zealand and Australia in May 2012

Customer Question

We booked a holiday to New Zealand and Australia in May 2012 to travel in March 2013, when we went to check in at Auckland to travel to Sydney we were told we were not booked on the flight and as we had things booked in Sydney the following day we had to purchase business class seats as there were no economy seats left at the cost of £1200. When we returned home there was a message on our home answer machine to tell us that the flight had been moved to 6am in the morning. We were told by the flight centre that it would be refunded to us within 2weeks, that was in April. They are now saying it was our fault because we did not contact the emergency number. We contacted Emirates and they have informed us that the flight centre had never booked us on the flight and they do not have a flight in the morning, so it would not have been an Emirates flight they were putting us on and we had asked at the time of booking for the flights to be with Emirates. They have offered us £300 compensation which I feel is not acceptable as they will not even admit that it was their mistake not booking us on the flight in the first place. Could you help us to sort this out. Many thanks John and XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  leanne-jones replied 3 years ago.

leanne-jones : Hello - my name is Leanne and it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
leanne-jones : Did you have a travel it win
leanne-jones : Did you have a travel breakdown sent to you of flights to where and what times etc? How did you pay for this, by credit or debit card?
JACUSTOMER-rv6y1f3v- :

We had an itinery of all the flights times and destinations and excursions booked and paid for it with a Visa Debit card

leanne-jones : Thanks. I assume that itinery showed the original schedule you were expecting?
JACUSTOMER-rv6y1f3v- :

leanne-jones : Great, did you have travel insurance and if so did you make a claim on that?
JACUSTOMER-rv6y1f3v- :

We did have travel insurance but did not make a claim as we expected it to be sorted out

leanne-jones : Ok, your first port of call is to see if you can make a claim on that, if they refuse the claim then I would write to the agent and say you expect a full refund of that cost within 28 days otherwise you will go to court. If they continue to refuse then you can issue a small claim which you can do online at
leanne-jones : The agent appears to be in breach of contract of the sale and supply goods and services act as they have failed to act with all reasonable skill and care. As its a small claim you can represent yourself as you will not need a solicitor.
JACUSTOMER-rv6y1f3v- :

Thank you I have already been in touch with the agent and that is when they offered us the £300 saying that was the cost of 2 economy seats plus £100 compensation. Also in the last letter we received they said we should have confirmed the flight 72 hours before which we had never been told to do. We were told to confirm the flights before we left th UK which we did. The message which was left on our answer machine was on the Friday which was only 48hours before the flight

leanne-jones : Unless they told you to confirm the flight, then you do not need to. As I said I think you should try travel insurance first and then seek to claim from the agent. After all the initial schedule tells you the flight dates. And as you say you were never booked
JACUSTOMER-rv6y1f3v- :

Thank you I will try that

leanne-jones :

Welcome. Please remember to give my answer a g

leanne-jones :

great rating - thanks. Leanne

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Leanne, I have sent a claim form into the travel insurance and waiting for a response from them. I have also complained to ABTA. Thank you