leanne-jones
leanne-jones, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister
73696840

My daughter rents a private house. She asked the estate agent

My daughter rents a private house. She asked the estate agent who acts for the landlord if she could keep a cat. The landlord agreed but only if she gave him an extra £250 deposit. The money was transferred immediately. The cat needed to leave the house in October 2012 as my daughter was allergic to it and now lives with me. My daughter has asked for the £250 deposit back as the cat is no longer at the house. The estate agent advised her that the landlord wanted all the carpets cleaned before the deposit could be returned. I paid for the carpets to be cleaned and sent a receipt together with proof that the deposit was paid to the estate agents, as they had trouble tracking the deposit. The estate agent said they would inspect the property to ensure the cat wasn't still living there before the deposit could be returned. They then phoned, before the inspection, to advise that the landlord has decided not to return the deposit until my daughter vacates the premises. I have asked the estate agents to tell my daughter exactly why the money isn't being returned after she was advised it would be if the carpets were cleaned. Unfortunately I only have emails from the estate agents saying the money would be returned. Can you please advise me whether my daughter has any rights concerning the return of the deposit for the cat. Thank you Mrs hick
Expert:  leanne-jones replied 4 years ago.

leanne-jones :

Hello - my name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

leanne-jones :

But you do have emails saying the £ will be returned - thats right?

leanne-jones :

Was the deposit protected?

Customer:

Copy of email below:

Customer:

The deposit was asked for by phone so nothing was put into writing.

Customer:

Deposit was asked for by phone and nothing was put in writing.

Customer:

Dear Kirsty

Thank you for your email

As soon as you send us a receipt for the cleaning we will reimburse your extra deposit

Nicola Tovey
Accounts Department

Customer:

Do you need any other email copies?

leanne-jones :

leanne-jones :

In that case I see no need for it whatsoever.

leanne-jones :

What you should do is write and ask for payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court. If they refuse then issue proceedings. You can do this in the small claims Court and online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.u

leanne-jones :

www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

leanne-jones :

You dont need a Solicitor to represent. I see the email as being binding and the Landlord will struggle to come up with any good reason to withhold it

leanne-jones :

Does that answer your question?

Customer:

They advised me today that they were going to back to the landlord with my comments asking why he is refusing to give back the deposit. Should I wait a day or so for a reply or should I proceed with the 14 days notice?

leanne-jones :

I would give a 14 day notice to show that you are serious

Customer:

O.k thankyou.