leanne-jones
leanne-jones, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister
73696840

Hello, I was in care back in 1979 and have recently received

Hello, I was in care back in 1979 and have recently received the records from the local authority under the foi act. I am highly distressed by comments made by one particular person eg: "I only stay there for for the material benefits given and little else" along with other statements which are really upsetting. The person said that they had basically no contact with me and also states that they have no grounds to state what they state. (like being subversive and distrubed etc) What's more, the person wasn't a care giver but employed as the office secretary. I can only conclude that she makes her comments based on information on record. It was wrong if I absconded but to say I stay (written after I'd been there for 3 months) for material benefits has lost me. I had no choice about being in care and as a minor, surely I was entitled to food and shelter and I can't work out what the material benefits were exactly (makes me feel that I was defrauding the dss or something). I'm am highly distressed about this and can't stop thinking about it. Would there be any claim for personal injury?
Expert:  leanne-jones replied 4 years ago.

leanne-jones :

Hello - my name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

leanne-jones :

What date were the comments?

leanne-jones :

Was this in 1979?

Customer:

the first comments were made in September 1978

leanne-jones :

I am sorry but you have 12 months from the date that the comments were made. As such you are out of time.

leanne-jones :

I am sorry but given the length of time that has passed, any claim would be statute barred

leanne-jones :

I am really sorry as I know this is not the answer you want, but I have a duty to give an honest answer

leanne-jones :

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer:

Thank you for your answer and I appreciate that you have to be honest. Would there not be an argument that I have only just become aware of this?

leanne-jones :

No - that is not a gateway you can use. I wish it was

leanne-jones :

Please remember to give me a great rating - remember its not whether or not its the answer you wanted, but the service I gave

Customer:

Ok, thanks.

leanne-jones :

Welcome and I am sorry I could not give you the answer you needed

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Leanne