leanne-jones
leanne-jones, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister
73696840

What is my legal rights to install parking posts at my business

What is my legal rights to install parking posts at my business property. I am fed up of not been able to park outside my own business.
My business property is situated on a busy main road, but we have an old street at the side which is a private street, on my deeds it shows that I own to the middle of the road. This is highlighted with a boundary all around the building including the exact centre of the road. The other 6 dwellings have the same on their deeds.
Do I need planning permission or do I need to put signs up, what happens if someone damages a vehicle on them?
Expert:  leanne-jones replied 4 years ago.

leanne-jones :

Hello - my name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

leanne-jones :

I assume it is private land?

leanne-jones :

Or is it Council land where they park?

Customer:

Hi Leanne,

leanne-jones :

Customer:

It is a private street nothing to do with council

leanne-jones :

OK. And is there an area the public have access to? I assume you mean parking bollards to stop people parking?

Customer:

It is a cobbled street that all residents are supposed to keep up with repairs to pavement etc.. on their part

leanne-jones :

ok

leanne-jones :

So unadopted road?

Customer:

Yes, parking bollards. As it is a private un-addopted street, I just needed to know if I was in my right to fit these posts

Customer:

Not maintained by council

leanne-jones :

Ok. And these I imagine are permanent structures?

Customer:

The ones i was thinking of are the ones that sink into the ground, otherwise I could not park there.

leanne-jones :

On right....... In that case planning would generally be required, because you can remove the post

leanne-jones :

It would only be where the item was permanent would you need permission

Customer:

Once the fitting is in place it cannot be removed. The whole unit is set in concrete and the post then pulls up but remains in the body of the fitting

leanne-jones :

As for signs, no you do not need them up. I assume the bollards will be a reasonable height so people can see them, so as long as they are visible it will be fine.

leanne-jones :

Yes I know the type of unit you mean.

leanne-jones :

But you can remove or lower the bollard part, so you wouldnt need permission for that

Customer:

If the posts were put in place and someone reversed into them am I responsible for the damage to the vehicle?

leanne-jones :

You can't stop someone from bringing a claim - but as long as they are reasonably obvious you wont be responsible

Customer:

That's good news. Thank you for your help.

leanne-jones :

Welcome. Please remember to give my answer a great rating and have a good weekend

Customer:

I sXXXXX, XXXXXe to you Leanne

leanne-jones :

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Leanne