Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm

Hi, me and my husbandare Romaniana and have the Indefinite

Customer Question

Hi, me and my husband are Romanians and have the Indefinite leave to remain status. I have brought my parents accross from Romania to help me out with my child. I would like to register them to the local GP surgery, but I can't get a proof of address, as my local Council refuses to give me a letter to say that they are registered at the address. What can i do in order to get a proof of address? I would be greatfull if you could help me out Thank you for your time

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is Alex and I'm happy to help with your question today.

Are your parents eligible to vote? Are they on the voters register?

Do they have bank account(s)?

Has the Home Office written to them at your address?

Did you have a solicitor to help with their immigration application?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No.Because we are Romanian and part of EU, Ihaven't contacted the Home Office. For them to get a bank account they need proof of address. The only way I thought they could get it was by registering with The council for Council tax. But the staff from there don't want to give me the proof. Can they do that? Are they allowed?

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

Registering with the council for council doesn't make sense. Even if you tell the council that your parents are living at the address the bill would only come in the name of the person who pays the bill.

The only real solution is to get a letter from the Home Office to confirm where they live. Otherwise you can get your solicitor to do a letter.