How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Alice H Your Own Question

Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2849
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

Hi, me and my husbandare Romaniana and have the Indefinite

Customer Question

Hi, me and my husband are Romanians and have the Indefinite leave to remain status. I have brought my parents accross from Romania to help me out with my child. I would like to register them to the local GP surgery, but I can't get a proof of address, as my local Council refuses to give me a letter to say that they are registered at the address. What can i do in order to get a proof of address? I would be greatfull if you could help me out Thank you for your time

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is Alex and I'm happy to help with your question today.

Are your parents eligible to vote? Are they on the voters register?

Do they have bank account(s)?

Has the Home Office written to them at your address?

Did you have a solicitor to help with their immigration application?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No.Because we are Romanian and part of EU, Ihaven't contacted the Home Office. For them to get a bank account they need proof of address. The only way I thought they could get it was by registering with The council for Council tax. But the staff from there don't want to give me the proof. Can they do that? Are they allowed?

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

Registering with the council for council doesn't make sense. Even if you tell the council that your parents are living at the address the bill would only come in the name of the person who pays the bill.

The only real solution is to get a letter from the Home Office to confirm where they live. Otherwise you can get your solicitor to do a letter.


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice