Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
18726264

my current husband (second marriage) asked me to invest £250.000

Customer Question

my current husband (second marriage) asked me to invest £250.000 on our new house but in his will he is leaving it to his children. He says its only a loan and that he is going to give the money back to me in five years. I have to children from my first marriage and would like to know what can I do to protect my investment.
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.
Hi thanks for your question. If the house is in his sole name then you should either have a proper loan secured by a charge or the house should be put into joint names. If you make a substantial financial commitment to the matrimonial home then you ought to be entitled to a share in it and indeed have a claim to occupancy. You could own it as " tenants in common' so that he can leave his interest to his children but give you a right to occupy it and leave your interest to your children.

I would advice you very very strongly not to invest the sort of sum you are talking about without proper documentation

I would see a solicitor to get it sorted out properly