Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
11292137

I purchased a second hand (2010) Jeep Grand Cherokee from an

Customer Question

I purchased a second hand (2010) Jeep Grand Cherokee from an approved Jeep dealer on 25 June. It came with two "keys" (plastic 'pod' that is used to electronically loc k/unlock car doors) that must also be inserted into ignition slot to start and run the vehicle. On 27 June as I tried inserting the secon of these "keys" into the ignition it disintegrated. I was not warned of this at time of purchase.

These pods can be oipened to insert a battery. However the secon pod mentioned above opens without any effort, and willo nor 'click' closed.

I have informed the dealer, intending to return the "key" for replacement. Does the dealer have to replace the key with one that works correctly and does notn disintegrate?
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

Has the dealer refused to replace the key?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The dealer has not refused because I have not yet visited him to obtain a replacement. However, he has not replied to my text message. I shall be visiting him in the next few days. To be frank I suspect that the the faulty key fob was not handed to me until I had paid for the vehicle, and the dealer had inserted to "good" key into the ignition slot for me to start and drive away. I could be wrong of course, but I would like to know where I stand should he refuse to replace the faulty key.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

I have
been asked to look at this for you.

Assuming
that you bought the car in June this year you have a course of action.

The
car (and the accessories) must be of satisfactory quality under the Sale of
Goods act.

Liability
for this rests with the dealer and not the manufacturer.

If the
dealer will not replace the fob, then tell him that you will get one done
elsewhere and issue small claims court proceedings against the dealer for
whatever it costs you and which you can do quite easily here www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

and
let the court decide whether the dealer is to blame or not and whether he is
liable to replace this for you.

To be
frank, based upon the fact that you have given me, I think he would be an idiot
to not simply replace the key fob assuming of course that you did not damage
it.

Does that answer the question? Can I help further?
Can I answer any specific points?

Please don't forget to
positively rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You
should now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service
formally.

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.

It doesn't give me, "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my
livelihood!

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions after rating
my answer service.

I am off-line shortly but will pick this up later
because I am on and off-line each day and weekend so please bear with me.