Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice

Chinese inheritance scam

Customer Question

Hi I stupidly got hooked into a Chinese inheritance scam which I have reported to the police yesterday. The scammers persuaded me to give my name as a relative of someone who doesn't exist's inheritance.  It was a fake bank manager and solicitor.   I'm so worried that I will be prosecuted for getting involved in the first place for attempted fraud. Will I go to jail? Please help as my wife and I are physically sick with worry. What do I do?

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I am Law
Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been
an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you
appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a
variety of subjects.

Because we are all in
practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and
weekends. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me
while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to
advise you fully.

Did you know it was fraud when you did this?

Can we have the full
background please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Law. what information do you need?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry - didn't see your question.

I got a letter in Mayfor a fake bank manager who said a person had died with my name and no relative. The money ($17.3m) was held in a differenent bank and if I gave him my details he would draw up papers and submit a claim.

I agreed but a couple of days later said I didn't want to continue. he said it was too late and that the papers were already in the system and I couldn't stop. I had a call from a lady from China who called to ask me questions and when I didn't answer she put the phone down on me. The bank manager called back to say I was being investigated and he would try and sort it out. she called again and said it was OK she had spoken to the first bank manager. She told me to contact a fake solicitor and he told me to pay £12k and then another £52k to finish the transfer.

I didn't want the money, I just wanted to get out - I told him he could keep it all. I felt so trapped and was physically sick with worry. Now I've told my wife, she too is sick. we reported it to the police yesterday. The Only reson I thought I had to carry on was because I didn't want to go to jail - now I think I will. Please,please advise what is going to happen. Can we talk? my number is XXXXX Please help.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

Don't worry about this. It is
most unlikely that anything would happen. It is all part of the scam and the
best thing you could do is call the police. Which you have already done.

I assume that you have not
paid any money.

Does that answer the
question? I am happy to answer specific points.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes I've paid the full amount (£65k ish). I know it's gone and we cant get it back. They are still hounding me and I haven't replied. I just need this to end. I cant cope with the worry of procesution. Will the police say that because gave them the info in the first place that I'm involved with attempted fraud?

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
You will not go to jail or even be prosecuted. On the contrary, you are the victim.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, that puts our minds at ease.

How do we know when this is all over? Will the police defiantly come to interview me or will it just hang in limbo with no clear finish?

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

In cases
like this, the best line of defence is obviously attack and there is no reason
why you cannot call the police from your position as a victim to find out if
they have close the file.

I would not
worry about calling the police because it will not make any difference whether
you ask them where the matter is at or not

Does that answer the

Can I help further?

don't forget to positively rate my answer J service
(even if it was not what you wanted to hear).

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time L. It is
imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.

It doesn't give me, "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

The thread
does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions.

I am
offline shortly until later and will pick this up then if needed.