Good Afternoon I recently received a letter form a PPI firm

Customer Question

Good Afternoon
I recently received a letter form a PPI firm wanting over half the payout I was given for PPI on my Barclaycard.
I gave the company permission last year to look into a loan which I had years ago, which they did and a successful claim was made, but not my Barclaycard. Barclaycard sent me a letter which I have in my possession, saying they have not received up to date authority from the PPI company to work on my behalf, therefore they would be working directly with myself. The PPI company sent out more letters of authority for me to sign which I never and still have in my possession.
Can they claim a percentage of the money awarded to me if Barclaycard never corresponded with them?
Kind Regards
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High
Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008.
During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions
from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other
users, I might not always respond in
minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me
while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Did they believe they were instructed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The PPI company informed me that by signing the original letter of authority to look into my loan gave them the permission to through my personal accounts as a whole, which was not explained or agreed when instructed to look into my past loan with the bank.

The letter of authority I originally signed in 2012 became out of date due to time which had lapsed between signing it and them rummaging further into my affairs. They sent me out a new form to sign which would have given them permission to continue even though I have asked my case to be closed on numerous occassions.

I have not agreed or signed a letter of authority for the PPI company to go any further into my affairs since they resolved the settlement for the loan.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

Have the PPI company done any
work on this at all?

Did you give the company
authority to do any work on it?

Please explain "more letters
of authority"

I am completely confused
because you say that you sign the original letter of authority but later on
saving you are not agreed signed a letter of authority.

So did you sign a letter or

I need to know exactly what
they have done and what authority you gave them.

Even assuming that you had
signed everything they ever sent, did you agree to give them 50%?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for all the confussion.

Barclays bank contacted me to say that they had received a contact from PPI company to work on my behalf and they wanted my personal information, Barclays refused to given them any information due to the date on the original letter of authority being over six months old, this letter of aurthority was signed for the sole purpose for the PPI mis-sold to me on my loan, so I was led to believe, I signed the first letter of authority.

Upon receiving this letter, I contacted the PPI company to ask what was going on as they had completed what I had asked of them. There was no more I wanted from them. They informed me that they would be sending out another letter of authority to allow them access into my affairs. I informed them that at this time that I would go through the bank personally, but they continued to send out their forms for me to sign, which I still have in my possession unsigned. Barclaycard have not worked with the PPI company, this they clarified today from my records. I also have letters in my possesion to this effect from Barclaycard.

The original agreement for the payment of services rendered was 25% plus VAT on that percentage. This I paid in full.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

So if you have paid 25%
already do they want another 25% and if so on what basis?

From what you say, they
appear to have only sent one letter out. Please confirm.

How much have you paid them?

How much did you recover?

How much are they claiming?