12826847

My daughter bought a car for £1350 a corsa 1.4 sold mint condition

Customer Question

My daughter bought a car for £1350 a corsa 1.4 sold mint condition full service history bought as seen paid in cash . Purchased on the 13 of June on the 29 June car broke down had to taken to a garage by recovery of which we has been quoted needs new engine which will cost £900 and £200 pound labour do we have any rights It is in a garage at present what should we do
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

Was it 'sold as seen'?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

For jomo1972 yes sold as seen

Did she buy from a garage or a private seller?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Fron a garage

Are they repairing it now? Are you content with a repair?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
For Jomo 1972 we do not have that amount of money it is not at the garage we bought it for I t was a car dealer who has mechanic which see the cars does the car dealer have any responsibility x

I didn't meant that though. I meant would you be happy with a repair rather than your money back?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
For Jomo 1972
Would be happy with repair if the dealer would all or most of cost
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
For Jomo 1973,please can you tell me if we have any legal rights against the car dealer

The seller is liable under the SGA to offer you a vehicle fit for purpose.

Unless any particular faults were pointed out to you at the time of sale, this vehicle has failed rather quickly and they would seem to be liable for the repair.

Realistically you have a claim for the cost of repair rather than the full cost of the car and they may argue that they should have been allowed to put right the faults themselves first before you sought assistance from a garage.

Overall though, you do have a claim against them.