How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jenny Your Own Question
Jenny, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6339
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jenny is online now

I am an accredited Counsellor and Supervisor and UKCP reg Psychotherap

Customer Question

I am an accredited Counsellor and Supervisor and UKCP reg Psychotherapist. I would like to retire from these 'professions' in a year or two but would like to continue to see private clients on a less formal (but paid--lower rates probably) basis so as not to lose all my skills and experience gained over many years. Where do I stand legally i.e. protected titles/indemnity insurance/CPD/ Supervision etc. I would always be open and honest with clients. I have scanned the internet and much of the stuff is now outdated and it would 'appear' one can still call oneself Counsellor/Psychotherapist? What about Supervisor? Perhaps i could simply not adopt any title but just advertise and offer Counselling and Psychotherapy--all very confusing. Really just want to earn a bit of pocket money in retirement without all the constant stresses and expenses of the professional regulation hurdles. I also know that I can offer a valuable service to a wider range of clients on a more affordable basis.

Manythanks indeed for any advice.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jenny replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer,

This sounds like an exciting venture. You will be responsible to maintain your own CPD and insurance, it is particularly important that you source sufficient indemnity insurance to cover any potential claim as you could be personally sued and held liable for an error. Many firms offer professional insurance you can contact the Association of British Insurers who will put you in touch with a broker dealing in your area. Their website is

In so far as title and CPD requirements are concerned this will depend on the rules of your professional body. Many professions do not allow titles to be used unless the person maintains membership of the body and individuals can be fined for passing off if they do not comply with this. I would suggest that you contact your professional body and ask for guidance on this. They should be willing to provide this information to you and should not withhold any information that you request.

If you have any further questions please ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would give a positive rating. Thank you and all the best.