How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question

Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 13325
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now

I need to get rid of a shareholder in a business but she wants

Customer Question

I need to get rid of a shareholder in a business but she wants money plus the following: [(Revenue of the Company for the accounting period ended 31 December 2011 / annualised revenue of the Company per its accounts to the point of sale/disposal of its business) x the total consideration payable by the third party acquirer] x 33%.
Can I sell my share to my husband as a third party to avoid this demand, thereby paying her a nominal sum.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 3 years ago.
Can you explain a little more. Are you selling to someone? what proportion of the shares do you own and what proportion does she own? What price are you selling at? I do not follow the formula you are quoting - is the revenue for 2011 greater of lesser than the the annualised revenue? an why would you use that particular formula? Are the retained profits being distributed or passed on to a buyer?

Is there a shareholders agreement?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We both own a company. There is no shareholders agreement. The shareholder that wants out but has said that she will leave if I give her £20k now and also basically 33% of any profit I make on sale (the formula is irrelevant and profits are being calculated on good years). The demands are unreasonable as the business is struggling and a payment of £20k for her share was very generous. I am thinking of signing her demands, handing her £20k and then selling the business to my husband for a pound so all she will get is 33p. Is this possible?

Expert:  Senior Partner replied 3 years ago.
IF you are both shareholders and there is no shareholders agreement then there is no obligation on either of you to buy the other out at any price. If she is a minority shareholder then the value of her shares can be discounted to reflect that.

Whether you buy her out at all really depends upon whether you have control and whether you can get rid of her as an employee without buying her out and just run the business.

I cannot recommend the idea you suggest to sell a nominal value to your husband. He is not a third party on normal interpretation of the words and you could end up being sued for fraud or have your (ex) shareholder bring a court petition on the grounds that you are deliberately running the company in a way that is prejudicial to her as a shareholder.

If the company is not doing well why not agree that the company will buy her shares back but only pay our of profits - that way you get certainty but if there is no profit it will not cost you.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions