Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only

Hi - I received a quote from a removal firm to move my household

Customer Question

Hi - I received a quote from a removal firm to move my household belongings - their assessor spent 45 mins looking around the house and provide a quote, and advised we needed 2 vans. We went with this after getting two other quotes. On the removal date itself a different man from the same firm decided within five minutes of entering the house that a third van was needed at a cost of another 1,000 pounds. We disputed this but had little choice - 2 vans took 2/3 of our things and we went to another firm to move the remaining 1/3 at a cost of around 1,000. I want to sue the first firm for their breach of contract and or negligence as their failure to assess the right number if vans in the first place showed a complete lack of professional expertise - what would you advise?
Expert:  Jenny replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer, have you paid the additional £1000?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not yet but assume it will cost that much for a third van - we are getting quotes right now - my main point is they agreed to move what they saw for approx 2000, then wanted another 1,000 on the day - to compensate me ie put me in the position I should have been if they had assessed this properly is that everything should have been moved for 2000 not (as will be likely) 3000. I have to move the rest of my belongings this week.

One of the removal men said this 'happens all the time' and feels closer to extortion than breach of contract! I thought maybe breach of duty to supply service ie the assessment piece under supply of goods and services act but interested in your assessment particularly as assessment they quoted in took place before we signed up
Expert:  Jenny replied 3 years ago.
Hi just so I understand all the facts before I advise you what to do next can you tell me:

Was the 3rd van from the same company or was it a different organsiation, ie. are you being asked to pay the same individual more money for the job or a 3rd party?

Did you receive a written quotation and did this say that it was subject to change on the day or anything of the sort?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We were told by the removal firm on the day that if we wanted to move the rest of our things we would need to pay for a third van. we refused on basis if we had to pay more there was no benefit using the firm over another one and as it felt they extorting money from us i did not want to pay them another penny. We have now agreed with another company to move the rest of our things. So in summary we received a quote to move all our things for approx 2k and 2 vans - on day itself they turned up with one large and one small van and said they could only move our things using a third van and that would overall cost us the original 2k pus extra 1k for the extra van.

We paid them the 2k and now have arranged for different company to take the rest so overall we are 3k down to move everything when the original firm had promised to do everything for 2k
Expert:  Jenny replied 3 years ago.
Hello the first thing you should do, if you have not already done so, is contact your local traading standards office (you will be connected to them if you phone your local authority switch board). They will tell you if this is a trader they are already aware of and give you a reference number to use on any correspondence with them. If the company knows you have involved trading standards they are more likely to take your complaint seriously.

You should then write to them saying that they acted in breach of contract. They had given you a quotation based on their expertise and skills to remove your goods for £2k and they failed to do so in breach of contract. As a result of that breach you have suffered a loss of £1K. You should say that they have 7 days to remedy the situation otherwise you will have no alternative but to sue them in breach of contract.

If you have not already spent the 1K on the third van, if possible, you should refrain from doing so and give the other company the opportunity to send a van to avoid the cost. I understand that this might not be possible due to moving dates etc.

Hopefully this will lead them to make you a sensible offer (ie. pay the cost of the other van). If it does not you need to submit a claim against them in the County Court.

If you have any follow on questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would give my answer a positive rating. Thank you and all the best.