Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator

Does UK traffic law place any restrictions on how close to

Customer Question

Does UK traffic law place any restrictions on how close to a road junction a motor vehicle may be parked? If so, in what circumstances are any such restrictions applicable in the case of a residential estate within which ALL roads and accesses have not been nor never will be adopted by the local highway authority as being maintainable at public expense? Would the fact that gates within the private estate's boundary railings are currently unlocked, pending resolution with the local authority of a planning dispute, which means that the general public are currently able to walk through the estate as a short cut from the local town centre have any material effect? The public's sole means of vehicular access to the estate is via a single (currently open) access gate that only allows public vehicular use of the estate if the driver is a resident's visitor and he/she displays the relevant visitor parking permit, issued as part of a soon to be implemented private residents' parking scheme.

Thanks for your help!
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That's fine, I'm happy to wait. However, having thought some more about this, in addition to the specific points already raised can I please slightly broaden the theme of my questioning to include what aspects of UK traffic law regarding speed limits and implementation of one-way or 2-way traffic flow also applies, if at all, to entirely private land? The problem I'm facing is that certain traffic flows and speed limits were agreed between the original developer of our estate and the local council but I now wish to submit to our local council an application to vary some of the planning consents laying down the restrictions. Before doing so, I wanted to be clear in my own mind if I was right to assume that the Road Traffic Act etc doesn't apply to private land - or does it in whole or part?

Jon Hendrick

Hello Jon,

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

There are no parking restrictions relating to private land. However certain some of the laws in the RTA 1988 apply to private land, notably land that the public, such as visitors have access to. Drunk driving, careless or reckless driving would apply to such private roads.

Happy to discuss any specific issues.

Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. Sorry to be pedantic, but I want to make sure I have my ducks in a row before speaking to fellow owners: presumably the fact that the public currently has access to our site only by default, until such time as we manage to agree with the local council that the gates can be locked shut, means that the main safety issues covered by the RTA apply to our private land. Specifically, is there a legal restriction within the RTA or other similar legislation on how close to a junction a vehicle can be legally parked and if there is, does that restriction apply to private land such as ours?

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
A vehicle should not be parked within 32 feet of a junction but this does not apply to private roads. Driving offences apply to private roads to which the public have access. Parking "offences" don't.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated. If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.