Hi, I have received a letter to my parents address for a

Customer Question

I have received a letter to my parents address for a debt of 605 from Marston High cort I am not entirely sure what this is for but I had a debt collect agency send me a letter in January about a debt from the DVLA for a bike that had been written off in 2011. I had moved house a couple of times since and I had never recived a single letter regarding it before.

all the documents had been sent off but the DVLA had no records after seeking advice I was advised I needed to send them a letter from the insurance agency with the date the bike was written off ect and a letter to explain.

I duly did this and advised the debt collection company I had done this. and herd nothing else untill today.

then today a letter arrived " at my parents address from marston high court enforcement about a debt of 605 I have no money and am currently int he middle of an IVA and have no idea what to do next. and am worried as they seem to have my parents address and dont want debt collectors turning up on there door.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well I need to know what to do really I have never delt with this type of thing before I dont have the money just to pay it and forget it. and I am a little annoyed at even having to consider it as the bike was written off in an accident and V5 sent off as it should.

I knew nothing about it till Jan when a letter from a debt collection agency arrived at my parents it took me 8 phone calls to find out it was from the DVLA and a further 6 before I found it it was for the bike that was written off over a year before.

I was run round in circles byt he DVLA before they finaly advised what I needed to send them and I thought it was then done and dusted.

But have now received a further letter from Marton High court enforment for almost double the amount and have no idea how to contest it.

Did you declare the bike SORN?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No the bike was taxed and and legal I was hit by a car and the insurance company wrote the bike off and paid out the V5 was sent to the DVLA and I thought nothing more about it.

It was only a year later when the debt collection agency sent a letter to my parents address I found out the DVLA hadnt marked the bike as scrapped.

When I found out I contacted them got the run around they said I had to send the V5 and I explained I had so didnt have it, after a few phone calls I was advised to send a letter form the insurance to a DVLA address the insurance company where happy to provide one along with all the details about who had scapped the bike and when so I sent this along with my new address.

Untill today I thought it was all done then I recive this letter from Marston High court enforcment.

No one seems to want to talk to me about it I got the run around by the DVLA and I carnt seem to find out what I do about the letter from Marston other than pay it and I dont have that sort of money

What's the allegation that they make about this bike? No tax, no insurance?

Does the letter give you any information?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the letter dosnt give any information, other than the debt amount

I found out back in Jan that the DVLA where chasing becuase the bike wasnt taxed after June 2011 ( after it had been written off and V5 sent ) and wasn't sorn as it was written off.

they refuse to deal with anything over the phone and ask for everything in writing but then never seem to do anything.

the only contact I have ever had are the orginal dept agency who refused to do anything other than ask for the money it took me 7 calls to find out the debt had been issued by the DVLA and then this letter from marstons.

both letter have been sent to my parents, an address I can only assume they got from a credit check as I only lived there for 5 months after going having to get an IVA and move up to derbyshire from Milton Keynes

And untill the letter today I knew nothing about a court hearing.

I have never been contacted directly by the DVLA the bike was still in MK when it got written off and I moved up here 4 weeks after the accident so never changed the address

Proceeding on the basis that the V5 was properly completed and despatched to the DVLA such that the insurance company would be the registered keeper then you are not liable for the absence of insurance or failure to SORN.

On the point of Marstons though, if they are debt collectors for the DVLA then they are not to be underestimated. They have the most powers and cannot safely be ignored.

There is absolutely no point in talking to the DVLA. You need to talk to Marstons directly about the ground of this fine.

If you no longer have a vehicle to clamp then they cannot do that to enforce this. They will not turn up and remove goods from your house.

What they may do is summons you to court but then you would have a defence arising from the fact that you are no longer the registered keeper of this vehicle.

You should be negotiating with Marstons though who will likely be able to tell you more than the DVLA.