12826847

I have received a new date for a hearing to do with failing

Customer Question

I have received a new date for a hearing to do with failing to give information realting to the identification of the driver of the vehicle. I was the driver but i never recieved a copy of the form for me to disclose my identification. I filled out a form pleading guilty and my reasons for not responding so it will be dealt with in my absence. I have just received a letter from the court with an adjourned date. The court says it cannot accept my plea of guilty in view of what I said about the offence. My block has two flats numbered the same, flat 3 of which mine is 3a and the other is just 3. My letters get missed alot as the postman gets confused with the flat numbers and this may be the reason why I may have not received the letter form the met police. This is the reasons I wrote down.

I cannot attend the adjourned date off the 11th of July due to work commitments, what do I do and what could be the outcome?

Charles
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

What was the offence?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The original offence was for speeding, but the court summons was for failing to disclose the identification of the driver following the offence.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am still waiting on an answer please....

Why was this adjourned previously?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It was adjourned because the court said it cannot accept my plea of guilty in view of what I said about the offence.

What I said about the offence was that I never received a letter from the met police to identify myself as the driver of the vehicle. I accept I was the driver if the vehicle but I did not receive a letter to confirm so. My address gets confused with another in the same block and this I explained could be the reason.

I need 10-15 mins to type out an answer if thats ok?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That's fine, thanks

Thanks for the information and for the time. The ipad is slow.

There are two issues here. The first is the date of court. You can ask the list office to change the date administratively. Sometimes they are helpful and sometimes not. Generally speaking, work commitments are not considered. Ore important than court commitments unfortunately.

The second is the substantive issue. You do have a very good defence to failing to identify. If you didn't get a S172 form then you cannot identify the driver. You will have to explain why you may not have got the s172 request but I used to prosecute traffic courts all the time and where somebody has a front door in multiple use its pretty much game over for the crown.

If you offer a plea to speeding on exchange for discontinuing the failing to identify then probably the crown will accept that. You will have to offer that plea on the day. Its rare that cps would press on if that offer were in the table.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
FOR JOMO1972 Many Thanks for your invaluable help. Apart from the work commitments, I am a bit apprehensive about attending court! What is the worst decision that I could get from the court for failing to identify driver and for the speeding?

Charles
They will not convict you of both. You will be charged in the alternative. They have no evidence that you were driving at the moment and no power to make you disclose now.

The failing to identify carries the highest penalty of 6 points and a fine. Also there will be court costs of around £600 if you have a contested trial and the surcharge of about £25-35.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
FOR JOMO1972 Many Thanks again. Will the courts decision be worse if I was not able to get time of work and attend? What If I was to write to them explaining why I could not attend and also re-iterating my case regarding my home address, will this have a negative bearing on my case?

Or will you advice that all costs I attend the court hearing?

Charles
If you don't attend then they will just try you in absence and convict.

The costs will be about £600 for a contested trial although it might be slightly lower than that for a road traffic hearing.

If you can get them to agree to adjourn then that would be great. If you can't though then if you want to win this you should attend to offer your defence.