12826847

Can i cancel my mobile contract if i have to leave the country

Customer Question

Can i cancel my mobile contract if i have to leave the country to work abraod permanently?
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

When does your contract end?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I took out a 24 month contract with o2 in December last year so its not due to end until Dec 2014.

I have recently gotten a job in Germany, this means that i will be permanently based out there

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

FOR JOMO1972

Thanks for the information.

There are no real secrets here. If you have signed a contract then you are bound by it whether your circumstances change or not.

It might be that you do have grounds of cancellation in the contract. You need to check the paper contract. Sometimes they do provide for cancellation in certain circumstances and sometimes by discretion.

If they won't agree though then you could make a full and final settlement offer to pay a lesser sum to escape the contract.

Failing that, if you do leave without paying its very unlikely they would sue for what is a low sum especially not since you are going to be abroad albeit only in the EU. What they may do though is add a default to your credit account. That is obviously undesirable if your credit account is otherwise in good order.

On your specific point though, you cannot rely on the fact you will be outside the uk to cancel unless there is provision in the contract to do so.

I'm very sorry if this is bad me but there is no point in misleading you.