Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice

I was very badly treated at Frankfurt airport. I missed my

Customer Question

I was very badly treated at Frankfurt airport. I missed my flight and was asked to pay a large amount of money to go on the next available flight. I am a senior citizen and a disabled person. I live in Bradford. Can I claim refund of the extra money I paid and compensation for physical and financial sufferings. I travelled with Lufthansa. I pre booked for a wheel chair service which was not provided.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I am Law
Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been
an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you
appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a
variety of subjects.

we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes,
particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me
while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to
advise you fully.

Was the problem just the lack of wheelchair?

What explanation have they offered?

How much extra?

Can we have full background details please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I arrived at the Frankfurt airport at 3.30p.m , one hour before the departure time with my cousin who came to see me off. My cousin told me to wait while he goes to seek help with the wheelchair. He was gone for 20 minutes and when he came back he told me that the check in staff member told him that he had no staff so go yourself to such and such place to get the wheelchair. We went to the check in desk with the wheelchair and the same person told us that my boarding card was ready but there is no staff to take me to the plane. My cousin offered his service but was told he could not do that. I asked that person that he did not have staff, my cousin could not take me and I am disabled and unable to walk, what should I do. He rang some one at 4.15 and turned to me saying that the flight had been closed and I can only go on the next flight for which I will have to pay700 euro. I told him why has he been wasting time. He had no answer to that and insisted on the payment mentioned above. I saw another counter, "cheep last minute ticket." I went to them and they demanded 500euro. At that point I saw one of my distant relative who works at the airport. He asked me what was the problem. I told him and he said he will go and talk to his boss which he did and told me that his boss had authorised a boarding card for the next flight without any extra money and he got me the boarding card but the joy was short lived and after only few minutes he received a phone call to say that the boarding card had been cancelled because it was issued without consulting the check in staff. I was told to go to the check in counter where a member of staff will explain. I went there and I was told that the only way I could go on the next flight was to pay 407 euro and that there was only one seat left. By now I was so annoyed with all this saga and I knew my son was waiting for me at the Manchester airport that I agreed and paid 407 euro and eventually arrived home around mid night instead of around 6.00p.m.

I hope this provides you with a clear picture.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

you. I you are not supposed to arrive at the check-in two hours before?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not understand what you mean by news feed. I have given all the information I had

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
Are you are not supposed to arrive at the check-in two hours before?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. If you also believe that I was not supposed to arrive at the airport two hours before and I am sure that you believe that the provision of the wheelchair is airlines responsibility. What action should be taken now by me or/and yourself.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

I am
sorry, but your posts are not making sense.

instructions, every time I have flown have been to arrive two hours before the
plane leaves. Were you told to arrive two hours before or one hour before? I'm
not asking about the responsibility to provide the wheelchair, they had a
contractual duty to do that. It is the timing which is the issue, because on
these facts, if you only arrived there, one hour before, and you were told to
come to arrive two hours before, I don't think you were left enough time for

not saying that your claim will fail and I think it's severely weakens it.

you arrived in plenty of time, I would be telling you to take the airline to
the Small Claims Court for the extra cost and add something in for inconvenience.