12826847

I bought a car 4 months ago from eBay and found out 8 weeks

Customer Question

I bought a car 4 months ago from eBay and found out 8 weeks ago that it's still on finance today the finance comPany took the car forcefully and I don't know what to do I have the log book which arrived last week
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Do you have the details of the person you bought from ? Don't give them to me but do you have them.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I do But he saying he never sold me the car Which he did

Surely you can show evidence of that? The ebay transaction should be recorded online?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No because I bought it direct b4 the bid expired he said I willsort it out with eBay and then done a transaction in cash I asked eBay they said we have records that u was the high bidder that's all but nothing to say you have bought the car
Do you have an email record of that?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
EBay said we will not pass it to you because of data protection but no I don't where do I stand and whats my situation because I have £26000 pounds in this car
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Jomo1972
I don't have email but eBay has all records can you tell me where do I stand now would I get my car back and what I have to do because this solicitor is asking too much money

Proceeding on the basis that there was finance on the car and it was very early on in the finance agreement then they do have the right to repossess without a court order. In fairness, they may have had a court order.

You can sue them on the basis that you have the innocent purchaser defence and so the car cannot be seized from you. I would not expect it to cost the sum you've been quoted but its not a cheap action.

The other alternative is to sue the seller against whom you have a failsafe claim as he had no right to sell this car to you.

Getting his details will be the major problem. There must be some way of doing that. You must have had an address to see the car. Your emails will be accessible in your Ebay account. If it came right down to it I suppose you could seek an injunction against Ebay to force you to reveal the information.

You can also report this to the police as the fact he is denying selling the car points to some form of dishonesty. It might be worth warning him that you intend to do that. They will not get your money back but they will investigate and his identity will be revealed to you probably in the course of any prosecution.