Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I bought a french bulldog and refistered her into my name ,

Customer Question

I bought a french bulldog and refistered her into my name , I spoke to the kennel club who informed me that she had had 2 litters but only 1 c-section (there is a limit of 2 c-sections). I was given this advice on at least 2 occasions. I went ahead with a mating that cost me £750 and elected with the vets to have the puppies by c-section as I was doing to have the dog spayed at the same time. The kennel club have now refused to register these puppies as they now say that the dog had previously had 2 c cectios and are refusing to register the litter of puppies. which means that instead of being worth £2000 per puppy (4 in total ) I will struggle to sell them. I have all the dates and times of the calls and they are supposed to be recorded. Obviously if they had told me she had had 2 sections then I would not go ahead with the mating especially with such an expensive stud dog.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 4 years ago.

Buachaill :

1. Here you have a remedy against the seller who sold you the french bulldog as the issue as to how many c-sections a dog has is something within the mind of the seller, and not the kennel club. As a dog with 2 c-sections is worth much less than a dog with no or one c-section, you essentially were sold something for more than it was worth. in your Question, you do not mention the seller at all or whether the seller warranted how many c-sections a dog had. Obviously the kennel club can only acquire this sort of information from the owner. So ultimately everything comes back to the owner. However, you have a remedy against the kennel club for misrepresentation to the extent that it affected your purchase decision. However, you would have to have got this information from them before you purchased the dog. If the two occasions on which the kennel club represented this fact to you were after you had purchased the dog, then there is no loss suffered by you as a result of their actions. The kennel club are not liable to you for something which the seller ought to have told you.

Buachaill :

Please RATE the Answer positively so that I may get paid

JACUSTOMER-a9i4cwdc- :

the kennel club informed me before I mated the dog (on more than 1 occasion) that she had only had 1 section , it was only when i tried to register the puppies that they informed me she had actually had 2 sections , I think that you miss understood what I meant in the question

Buachaill :

2. No, I did NOT misunderstand what you meant in the Question. YOu cannot place liability on the kennel club for not telling you the history of the dog correctly as they can only know the history of the dog from the owner. The owner was either you or the previous owner. These were not facts within the personal knowledge of the kennel club.

Buachaill :

Best of Luck in life!