29905560

Easijet have a change flight policy whereby by paying £30 per

Customer Question

Easijet have a change flight policy whereby by paying £30 per person it is possible to change a flight if necessary. The company do not refund any money unless a death certificate is forwarded so why pay to change the flight? it costs more than just booking another flight outright. As they are able to resell the seat the money should be refunded as the change charge has been paid. This is a dishonest practice and alt5hough I shall be able, with a death certificate to claim back the difference in flight fees, the ensuing need to alter the flights of others involved will cost me their two flight bookings too (although they too changed their flights a few weeks before flying so the seats will have been resold, not left empty.
In spite of what their small print says it must surely be an unethical practise.
Thank you Cicely Bartram

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Whilst I agree that this practice may appear unethical, it is not unlawful. There are often practices in everyday business transactions that may appear unfair or unethical to one party but that does not make them illegal. You will find that many airlines have similar policies, although they would vary from one airline to another. Some will allow flight changes for a specific sum, others will not even allow a name change and if you wanted to amend any of the original booking details you would be expected to purchase a whole new ticket. As long as you were advised of these charges at the time of booking, for example by agreeing to their booking terms and conditions and being given access to them, you would be bound by these terms, including the fees on changing flight details. This has been a practice that has been in operation for years and it is still legal subject to the above conditions.

I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you wanted to hear but I hope you understand I have a duty to explain the law as it actually stands and sometimes this does mean delivering bad news. Please let me know if you need me to clarify anything.

Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your query?

Hello I understand that there have been some issues with the chat function and that you may not be able to read my answer so please find a copy of it below:

I hope this has answered your query and would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating. Your question will not close and I can continue providing further advice if necessary. Thank you