29905560

got turned down from my bank for 5000 got a call on my mobile

Customer Question

got turned down from my bank for 5000 got a call on my mobile company willing to give me 5000 3 days later and no cash left they received 2000 in ukash vouchers 4 times they said the money would be in the bank never appeared told them a wanted to cancel my application again they were looking for 260 too cancel plus i would have too wait 6mths for my money never usually do anything like this usually search reviews first is there anything a could do?thanx

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

This is unfortunately a scam. Such types of scams, known as ‘advance-fee fraud’ are unfortunately extremely common these days and many unsuspecting people fall for them.

The way they work is as follows:

• Someone contacts you and promises you money, whether a loan, a prize, etc. You are unlikely to have ever heard of or been involved with the persons/organizations concerned.
  • Before you are able to receive the promised amount, you are asked to pay a sum of money for various reasons, usually as clearance fees, administrative costs, taxes, etc. This is the advance-fee part of the scam.
  • Tempted by the potential return, you pay the money in good faith. The usual request is for it to be sent via payment methods like Western Union, Moneygram, prepaid cards, UKash, etc. These are the favoured payment methods used by fraudsters as it is extremely difficult to trace them that way.
  • Once the money has been sent, the fraudster either stops all contact and the money never materializes, or they return and ask for further payments due to new unsuspected issues.

The issue is that once you have sent the details of the UKash vouchers to the fraudsters the money is gone, it is the same as sending them cash in the post. If the money has been claimed then UKash will not be able to do anything.

It will also be very difficult to get that money back in other ways. You can contact the police but relying on them to trace these people and return the money to you is a very long shot. The alternative is to sue them instead but you have to find out who they are and even if you take them to court I can almost guarantee that they will simply ignore the claim and let you pursue it as far as you can until you probably give up as you realise you cannot do much more without spending more and more money and time.

I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you wanted to hear but I hope you understand I have a duty to explain the law as it actually stands and sometimes this does mean delivering bad news. Please let me know if you need me to clarify anything.

Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your query or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this?

Ben Jones :

Do you need any further advice in relation to this issue?

Hello I understand that there have been some issues with the chat function and that you may not be able to read my answer so please find a copy of it below:

The way they work is as follows:

I hope this has answered your query and would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating. Your question will not close and I can continue providing further advice if necessary. Thank you