12826847

I was taken in by police accused of being with another man

Customer Question

I was taken in by police accused of being with another man in a public toilet cubicle. We were fully clothed and I insisted I never did anything. I was drunk and the guy was ensuring I was okay as I was very drunk. The door was not locked and when the police knocked we pushed the door straight open. They interviewed me, not recorded, made notes and said I may go to court. Should I get a lawyer?
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Have you already been interviewed without a solicitor?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
They took me in a room and questioned me without a lawyer

They should have offered you a solicitor. This is an interview under caution under PACE. Even if we're there voluntarily they should have offered you a solicitor.

You can look into a solicitor now but they might not see you yet as they probably won't get legal aid until you are charged. Even then, if you have said something unhelpful in interview then a solicitor cannot exclude it.

They are going to need more evidence than you just being together in a toilet cubicle though. Obviously it gives rise to an inference but it could just as easily support an allegation of drug consumption and dealing as it could an allegation of sexual contact.