12826847

My family applied for planning permission for a rear extension

Customer Question

My family applied for planning permission for a rear extension to our property in January this year. It was for a 5 metre extension and the advice we were given from the planning department (who came to visit the property in December and spoke through the proposals with our contractor then) was that the application was nothing out of the ordinary and we should submit a full planning permission application, which we did. The website for our application was updated until early February when they stated that there was no opposition from our neighbours, following which there was no further information on our case. We contacted them in April to ask what was going on and the planning officer suggested that we do an application under the new legislation that allows extensions up to 6m without prior approval from the council. We did this application in early May and have now been told that we do not meet the criteria and we need full planning permission. Do you have any advice on what we should do? My parents have been staying in a hotel since February and the costs are mounting.