Max Lowry, Advocate
Experience:  LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
51031577

I separated from my wife over a year ago. She has been living

Customer Question

I separated from my wife over a year ago. She has been living in the family home since then. She has now moved out to a house nearer her parents but will not give me the keys to family house so I can move in. I have tried contacting a locksmith to have lock changed but they said they can't do it without seeing mortgage deeds showing I am joint owner. I can't do this as my wife has our copy. What else can I do?
Expert:  Max Lowry replied 4 years ago.

Max Lowry :

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I will help you with your question.

Max Lowry :

You can satisfy the locksmith by obtaining a copy of the land registry deeds - which you can do online, everybody can, here: www.landregistry.gov.uk

Max Lowry :

Are you there?

JACUSTOMER-i6oycw6x- :

Yes. Will I be able to print a copy off to show the locksmith?

Max Lowry :

Yes, you will. It will show you both as joint owners and then you just have to show them photo ID to prove you're that person.

JACUSTOMER-i6oycw6x- :

That's great. I can't understand why the solicitor holding the deeds couldn't have told me that instead of saying they needed both of our signatures

Max Lowry :

It's a little worrying isn't it!

Max Lowry :

I hope this proves useful!

Max Lowry :

I hope this answers your question. If you need further information, either now or later, just let me know and I'll gladly help out. Please do remember to rate my answer as highly as you can for me. Thank you.

JACUSTOMER-i6oycw6x- :

Ok. I will attempt to do as you have advised and if successful will give you top rating. Thanks

Max Lowry :

Thanks - and if you need more, just let me know!

JACUSTOMER-i6oycw6x- :

Max Lowry :

You're welcome. I hope you manage to sort this - good luck!