UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

My near relativeMr A.(Born 1936) arrived in Uk from Pakistan

Customer Question

My near relativeMr A.(Born 1936) arrived in Uk from Pakistan in 1951 and stayed for 2/3 weeks and than went back.
Again arrived in 1953 and worked and studied and got married to a German
girl. Pakistani Passport shows him as Pakistani British Subject.....Student
The couple had two kids(British Subjects with british Passports)
In 1967 the family moved to Germany after obtaining German resident visa for the family and stayed in Germany uptill now.
He still has German Residential Permit valid till10th July 2015.
Also has received offer from local Burgermeister for Germany Nationality and Passport.
He is considering the possibility of getting British Nationality (If Possible).
Please advise
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE.

In some circumstances, British subjects are able to register as British citizens.

The rules about British subject status changed in 1949 and again in 1983, so those dates are important when deciding if someone is a British subject.

Until 1949, nearly everyone with a close connection to the United Kingdom was called a British subject. And all citizens of Commonwealth countries were British subjects until January 1983. Since that date, very few categories of people have qualified as British subjects.

You became a British subject on 1 January 1983 if, up to that date, you were:

• a British subject without citizenship, which means you were a British subject on 31 December 1948 who did not become a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies, a citizen of a Commonwealth country, a citizen of Pakistan, or a citizen of the Republic of Ireland;

• a person who had been a citizen of Eire and a British subject on 31 December 1948 and had made a claim to remain a British subject; or

• a woman who had registered as a British subject on the basis of your marriage to a man who was in one of the two categories above.
British subjects normally cannot pass on that status to their children if the children were born after 1 January 1983. But a child may be a British subject in certain circumstances.

A person who is stateless may be able to register as a British subject
in certain circumstances.

Since 1 January 1983, a person who gains citizenship of any other country can no longer be a British subject. However, this does not apply to a citizen of the Republic of Ireland who has made a claim to remain a British subject as explained above.

In this case as the person in question obtained Pakistani nationality he is unable to have a claim for British Citizenship. He may have had a right to apply for British Citizenship during his stay from 1953 - 1967, but because he did not exercise that right and apply for nationality, he can not now apply for British Citizenship.

I hope this answers your question if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time. If however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please DO NOT rate my answer negatively I will be happy to answer further question until you are satisfied with my answer.

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

I hope this answers your question, if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time.

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Is there anything else I can assist you with?