12826847

What is the statute of Limitations on the time that a debt

Customer Question

What is the statute of Limitations on the time that a debt can be collected from a debt I incurred from someone else claiming Personal Injury ( I was an uninsured driver). The Motor Insurance Bureau has paid the compensation and want the money from me now.
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

When was the last time you heard from them?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

2 years ago- May 2011. They said interest had now been added

The RTA occurred in Feb 2005. I was convicted of using a vehicle without insurance and driving without due care and attention in Sept 2005.

Did you respond to them in 2011?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes. I told them I had included this outstanding amount in a personal Bankruptcy in February 2007 when they first tried to get the monies.(Giving them the Insolvency/Bankruptcy refrences) I have since through my own enquiries found out that this type of debt cannot be included in Bankruptcy but not heard anything back off the MIB since May 2011

Im sorry but bankruptcy isn't my area.

I will see if others can help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

FOR JOMO 1972

I'm just re-iterating what took place. Bankruptcy is NOT the issue. I'm positive that the debt remains outstanding- I just wish to know how long the debt can be chased for without becoming Statute Barred ?