12826847

My electricity meter was faulty and I have been charged too

Customer Question

My electricity meter was faulty and I have been charged too much by British Gas, after some drama they changed the meter confirming it was inaccurate. They suggest 5% error in my favour, but I challenged this by suggesting it was a FIVE FOLD error. I have paid in excess of £1000 to settle the bill, but I am unhappy with the methodology used. Am I entitled to further challenge them to provide me with details of test methodology for meter, certificate of calibration for tools and test equipment used and competency record of engineer carrying out the test. I believe they have overcharged me to the tune of £750.
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Are you prepared to spend money upon suing them please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It will probably cost more than they owe me. will it be beneficial?

In truth, it may not be. It depends if you want to recover or just make a point.

You can make an application to the court for disclosure of all this material prior to the hearing and generally a court would do so unless its of the view that its completely irrelevant.

If you issue they may well settle.

Since this is likely to be a small claims court sum, its not all that expensive to attend even if you make initial applications for disclosure but its the inconvenience and your time for which you will not recover at the small claims court.

Another option open to you is to complain to the ombudsman which is free to do and they would have to justify their conclusions