Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
11292137

quotes by both parties ?

Customer Question

Can an agreed quote by both parties be increased without agreement? I agreed to a quote for work to be done on a vehicle, was quoted 800 all in, although there was one part they weren't sure on so said 1000 maximum to be on the safe side just in case difficulty locating etc the part. Agreed to this sum, heard nothing more from them, other than me calling to see how they were getting on as not heard etc until I get a phone call yesterday that work stands at 1185 not including the original cost of the maybe difficult part, can this ebe done without my consent, its almost half again the original quote on top before this other part and almost 200 above the maximum quoted without this part.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

Ifa price is agreed they must stick to the price unless they said it might be higher. They cannot exceed the max they quote.

If no price is agreed (not in this case), the price under Supply of Goods and Services Act, must be reasonable.

If they wont give you the car back unless you pay up, pay under duress and sue for the extra over £1000 in small claims court. Simple and quick here. www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

Does that answer the question? I am happy to answer specific points.

Can I help further?

Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not what you wanted to hear).
If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.
It doesn’t give me, “a pat on the head”, “good boy” (like ebay), it is my livelihood!
If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little, please ask.

I am offline shortly until later and will pick this up then if needed.

Please bear with me each day and over weekends because I will be online and off-line each day.