Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

My property (a flat in a block of 44) has been damaged to the

Customer Question

My property (a flat in a block of 44) has been damaged to the cost of about £5000, because of a leak from another property and the insurance company is refusing to pay out saying that the problem occured prior to their appointment. The company is run by a managment directors and they changed the insurance company without my knowledge? Where does the liability lie?
Expert:  Joshua replied 4 years ago.

Josh-2010 :

Thanks for your question. Please kindly RATE my answer when you are satisfied

Josh-2010 :

Did the damage occur prior to their insurance please?

Josh-2010 :

What was the cause of the leak?

JACUSTOMER-aqcxm5yd- :

It would appear to be the case, the cause of the leak came from a burst pipe from another flat, which had been slowly leaking for a number of years, but as the pipe was in a internal wall cavity the leaseholder would have been unaware of it.

Josh-2010 :

Thanks. From what you say you did not know about it either?

Josh-2010 :

From the point you notified the other party did they fail to act hence worsening the damage?

Expert:  Joshua replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry you have had cause to rate my serve to you as poor. I am conscious I have not yet given you any service because looking at the above I was waiting to hear back from you. I would be very happy to continue to assist. I hope you have not experienced any technical difficulties.

I look forward to hearing from you in response the the above so I can assist you with the same.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, I was not aware of the problem and I imagine the leaseholder where the problem arose was not aware either - the broken pipe was not visible. The problem is our management agent says that there was a change of insurance brokers (which we were not aware of) and the current insurance broker does not pay out for problems that arose before their appointment. I would have thought that the management company before changing an insurance broker would have had a survey of the property undertaken to ensure that there were no problems changing our insurance broker - is that not the normal procedure?

Expert:  Joshua replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. Before I continue may I just confirm with you that you are content to retract your negative rating please - assuming it was down to technical reasons or something similar. Your rating reflects upon me personally rather than the site experience.

Thank you otherwise for the above information.