Max Lowry, Advocate
Experience:  LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
51031577

My friend was taken to court for outstanding electric bills

Customer Question

My friend was taken to court for outstanding electric bills with e-on, his on-going situation with his provider is due to his queries into how he accumulated such a high bill, considering the tariff he was in. This process started in 2009, and included all his family who live in the address to be responsible for the unpaid electricity bills, which ion this case is himself, his wife and his disable mother. At his hearing after deliberation the judge ruled with e-on and him and his family have currently a 29.000 debt with all legal feeds added. My query is can he appeal this ruling , take it any higher ? Or his only option his to declare bankruptcy ?
Expert:  Max Lowry replied 4 years ago.

Max Lowry :

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I will help you with your question.

Max Lowry :

Whether he can appeal depends. If the Court decided a point of law, which you believe is wrong, then you can seel permission to appeal that legal decision.

Max Lowry :

If there were no legal issues that are challenged, then it's not possible to appeal factual findings.

Max Lowry :

and the only option would be potentially to become bankrupt.

JACUSTOMER-3no7v3ov- :

Max Lowry :

I hope this answers your question. If you need further information, either now or later, just let me know and I'll gladly help out.

Please do remember to rate my answer as highly as you can for me. Thank you.