Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator

About 2 months ago I has a letter from Lowells who said they

Customer Question

About 2 months ago I has a letter from Lowells who said they have bought a debt I owed to Vodafone in 2011. I had a letter from Vodafone in July 2011 and my daughter disputed the bill. I have heard nothing since from Vodafone. Lowells have now passed it to Red Debt Collection Services who are threatening to pursue the matter further.
How do I legally stand - can they take me to court and do I legally have to pay them

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

How was this resolved?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My daughter paid the monthly bills outstanding but not the cancellation of contract fee as the reason the bills were not paid originally was a dispute on a large bill. The debt that Lowells have bought is for cancellation fee and bills outstanding.

Are the guarantor?

How old is she please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my daughter is 44 years old. I actually set up the contract but the phone was used by my grandaughter. We always checked usage and disputed one of the bills as did not tally with usage shown on phone. Vodafone admitted that they had had problems with billing. My daughter dealt with the dispute as having worked for Vodafone for several years understood what to do

Sorry I see.

The simple answer is that it depends on your appetite for risk here.

If you were locked into a contract with them for a certain period of time and you cancelled in the midst then they do have a claim against you. Its not for cancellation charges but they do have a lost profits claim against you.

It is very unlikely they will sue. Its not worth the manpower to do so. Also, this is just a standard debt collection letter and they don't sue generally. They are just instructed to write and phone and generally pester to see what they can get.

The risk this here is that vodafone will just add a default to your credit account. In truth they may have done that anyway and if they have then there is no point I paying unless they are going to remove it. You should check that with experian. Obviously that may be important to you or it may not. If you have a good credit rating then probably you could do without this. Equally though if you don't intend borrowing money at the moment or taking out other contracts its not likely to affect you. It will drop off automatically after 6 years anyway.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Red Debt Collection Services has threatened a County Court Judgement etc, As a Trustee and Treasurer of our local Hall Committee I cannot risk this. Also I am a Company Secretary. Do you think they just threaten to get money. The amount they want is 364.39

Yes, often they will make hollow threats.

If you pay a CCJ within 28 days if judgment though it should not show on your credit rating as that is just a dispute over liability rather than poor money management.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated. If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.