Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

Hello I run a non profits arts organisation. We are negotiating

Customer Question

I run a non profits arts organisation. We are negotiating a contract on a new commercial property. Our solicitor has been waiting to receive the lease for a number off weeks.
The vendors solicitor contacted our solicitor and said they wanted us to do a survey on the property. Our solictor has told us he is not qualified to do this, and it will cost £500 pounds, plus and extra £1500-2000 to write a new contract with this survey included.
My question is. Is this standard practice, as I have negotiated commercial contracts before and this idea of a survey has never come up.
Can we decline to do this. Ie is it optional.
Best
Laurie

AlexWatts2013 : Hello my name is Alex and I will help. Is it the landlord that wishes a survey? Did they give a reason why?
JACUSTOMER-d84ibote- :

Hi Alex. No they didn't give a reason? It is also the first time they have mentioned it, we have been waiting to receive the lease for weeks.

JACUSTOMER-d84ibote- :

Yeah sorry, It is the landlord yes.

AlexWatts2013 : Thank you. I can say this is not standard practice. I have never known someone want a survey before a tenant moves in with a lease. In any event it should be up to the landlord to bear the cost, after all it is his/her property.
AlexWatts2013 : So to answer your question, this is not standard practice. It sometimes can happen but is quite rare

I am just following up on this. Is there anything else I can help with? If so, please let me know.

Alex.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated. If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.