12826847

I am a vulenter carer. The person I am carering for is dying

Customer Question

I am a vulenter carer. The person I am carering for is dying from cancer. He needs 24 hour care. He is currently in Linden Ward that is run by St Christopher's Hospice in Lewisham Hospital. He wants to come home. When he was last at home I tried to give 24hr care but of course failed. As a result I feel awful. His symtoms are better and I know that his health will suffer once at home. He keeps asking to come home. He is not thinking of me at all. He has refused medication and home help. He is considered to be able to make choices. I hate seeing him in pain and suffering, however, the staff of St Christopher's home care team say he has rights to refuse help. The want him to come home also. I know it is the wrong thing to do. any advice.
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to assist you but need some further information first
Are you a live in carer?
Have you told the family that you cannot care for him?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, today when i went into the st christohers hospice ward at lewisham hosital, i was told that a patient on the ward had managed to kill themselves last night. I will talk to them tomorrow at 11:00am to discuss what to do for the person I care for. Them family are not able to care for him and i want to help. I have reported to the hospice staff issues i have and i will attend the meeting.

I am a live in carer

I have told the family I need help

Caroline

I have to ask have you considered resigning?
Claire
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an information request here from the Expert. This means they need to know more details before they will be able to give you a full answer.