We have written 3 times now stating our position i.e. :
1. we experienced no accident
2. we were not aware of any problem on leaving - and if as noticeable as they say we would have been aware
3. we did not notice anything on arrival as there was clean bedding on the bed so one wouldn't see an old stain on the mattress
4. we left the property clean, emptied bins, cleaned kitchen etc as we would always do vacating the property as we found it
5. we are not happy they continue to write to my 87 year old father when we have informed them it is causing him significant distress
6. we are also not happy they suggested in a letter my father claim on his holiday insurance when we have been clear no accident occured for him to claim against
As the onus is on them to prove the marks were not there when we arrived presumably they would have to provide a photo of the mattresses with a record of it being taken prior to our arrival ?
Is negotiating our only option as it suggests we feel partly responsible which I know we are not?